We often get questions from business owners whether they should register their logo or trade name. According to USPTO, who manages incoming applications and issues trademarks, there are several advantages to officially register your trademark.
1. You are declaring to the general public that you have claim of ownership of the mark
2. You have legal coverage and right to exclusively to use the registered mark nationwide
3. You have the ability to bring any action regarding violations of the mark by others in federal court
4. You can use of the U.S registration as a starting point to obtain registration in other countries
5. You have the ability to file the U.S. trademark registration with the U.S. Customs Service in order to prevent importation of infringing foreign goods
Note that you can use the TM (trademark) or SM (service mark) designation to alert the public to your claim. You can use the ® (registered mark) only after USPTO officially registers the mark. This asserts that you have legal protection and exclusive right to use the mark. Read more about trademarks.